I was one of 2 parents that went along in addition to the teacher, Ms. B, and her assistant, Ms. J. The other 2 first grades went along too and the kids were VERY well behaved. I was assigned a group of 7 kids, all of which were on excellent behavior. I had a straggler and a wanderer but once I got their attention, they were fine. I'm not really sure how much they truly absorbed or how many fish they really saw because it seemed we rushed through there so quickly, but the general consensus at the end of the day was that they had a great time. We finally got started at 10:30, saw the dolphin show at 11:30 and then had to be out to the buses by 12:45. I thought that was a short time frame but it worked out well as kids don't need to stand and look at anything for very long. And fortunately, the Aquarium wasn't very crowded so kid control was probably the best it was going to be although it was still a bit stressful for me. Keeping 7 excited first graders together is no easy task, especially when you take them into a fairly dark area and many of their silhouettes look alike.
| My little group - such sweet kids! |
Another thing I came away with yesterday is how great of a teacher Ms. B is. I was amazed at the control she has over the class along with the respect the students give her. Even with as wound up as they all were before the trip, she just had to say a few words and they were all silent. My favorite saying was if they were getting loud she would say, "123, eyes on me!" and without much of a pause, the class would answer back, "12, eyes on you!" and they would be silent. She never yelled at them but could get their attention with just a few words - clearly she's good at what she does. Her classroom is so organized and such a great vessel for learning. And best of all, the bulletin board with the erroneous "their" had been fixed to say "they're." I felt so much better and I'm looking forward to helping with the Halloween parade and party at the end of the month. Yay 1st grade!!
1 comment:
I always loved going on field trips with my kids.
My oldest works at a before/after school daycare and they do the transitions (123, eyes on me) as well. She is always telling me different ones that they use. They really do work and what a great idea!
Post a Comment